Explore Interior Archeology
March 12 to April 1, 2018
March 17, 2018, 7 to 9 pm
About the Artists:
Eileen P. Goldenberg’s work seeks to find the pure meaning/emotion of painting, and does not represent or reference any reality outside of the work. This allows the viewer to dive into the piece and experience it without the clouding of subject or metaphor. Look closely at the visual
depth of the surface, where you seem to be looking into another place.
Laura McHugh’s work is an examination of the different paths introspection takes us down – our personal maps of constantly looking for what is around the next turn and under the next rock – the hope and promise that compels us to keep moving forward. Laura uses maps as a first layer in her pieces as a touchstone to ground the journey. Each painting is as many as 15 to 20 layers of cold wax and oil paint, including intermediate addition of textures that represent the topography and geography of her interior conversations.
This show will give viewers a unique look into paintings in hot wax and cold wax mediums. Each artist explores surface, form and composition from her own perspective, with the medium influencing the abstract pieces. Influenced by coastal light, flow, and nautical impressions, each artist’s work expands into large format abstract pieces on wood panels.
Laura says, "I've been working a new body of paintings - BIG pieces (48x60") in cold wax medium. I'm excited to be showing this work in conjunction with Eileen P. Goldenberg's encaustic (hot wax) pieces."
About the Coastal Arts League:
Since 1979, the Coastal Arts League has been providing a place for artists to meet and show their work. Like any small non-profit, we exist because of our volunteers, who help with exhibits, receptions, and special events. The Coastal Arts League is the place to meet people, immerse in the arts, and serve the community. We propose that by working together, we can have an impact on the quality of life for everyone in the community. The Coastal Arts League Gallery is open from noon to 5 p.m. Thursdays through Mondays.
Decker Gallery Exhibitions: 2018
1. January 15 - February 11, 2018: Big Wave Photography
2. February 12 - March 11, 2018: Collaborating Artists
3. March 12 - April 1, 2018: Laura McHugh and Eileen Goldenberg
4. April 2 - April 29, 2018: Peninsula Camera Club
5. May 1- May 27, 2018: Collaborating Artists: Linda Jordan Group
6. May 28 -June 17, 2018: HMB High School Benefit:
7. June 18 - July 22, 2018: Juried Alzheimer's Benefit Show
8. July 23 - August 26, 2018: Juried Painting Show:
9. August 27 - September 30, 2018: Juried Photo Show:
10. October 1 - November 4, 2018: HMB Plein Air Painters
11. November 5 - December 2, 2018: Rebecca Holland
12. December 8 - January 6, 2019: Members Holiday Show
Visit Our Sister Organizations
National League of American Pen Women
Pacific Art League
Palo Alto Art Center
Peninsula Museum of Art
Sanchez Art Center
San Francisco Women Artists
Santa Cruz Art Center
Santa Cruz Art League
Santa Cruz Mountain Art Center
Santa Cruz Art and History Museum